Dy Director/Administration :
Attached with Chief Engineer/SO&C, Patiala . Supervises the work of establishment section and other official matters of the offices under the control of Chief Engineer/SO&C.
There are five Directors and one SE under the control of Chief Engineer/SO&C
Director/Power Regulation & Control:
Brief write up:
This directorate is responsible for the load management in the state of Punjab by balancing supply of Electric power against Demand of Electric Power. Management of supply side involves scheduling own generation, drawl of power from common pool and central sector generating stations as well as banking arrangement with other states & purchase of power through traders. On the other hand Management of demand side involves scheduling of electric power supply to various categories of consumers through restriction of timings for supply, peak load restrictions on industry as well as load shedding activity. State of art EMS/SCADA system is a tool available with this office for online monitoring of the power system in Punjab as well as whole of the Northern Region of India.
Besides this, whole of power data for the state of Punjab is being compiled and maintained. Industries which are continuous process in nature are declared so after ascertaining genuineness. Exemptions from Peak load restriction for industry are also processed by this directorate.
Main functions and activities of SLDC Directorate:
SLDC Directorate has been instrumental in implementing/commissioning of the Unified Load Despatch and Communication (ULDC) scheme in PSEB which is functional since July, 2002. This scheme comprises of SCADA/EMS (Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition/Energy Management System) system provided by Alstom (now Areva) and provides on line data of integrated power system network at control centers located at SLDC, Patiala and 2 Area Load Despatch Centers (ALDCs) at Lalton Kalan (Ludhiana) and Jamsher (Jalandar). Wideband MW communication network has been provided on main trunk route which is further linked with NRLDC, New Delhi from where central power projects and energy drawl data is received.
Distribution SCADA Scheme
To take a step further after successful running of SCADA/EMS scheme in PSEB, there is a proposal to take up Distribution SCADA in PSEB. Initially Distribution SCADA shall be implemented for Ludhiana city, which may be extended further on the basis of its performance.
The ultimate objective of the scheme is to achieve unmanned operation of 66/33/11KV grid sub stations such that all the data acquisition and control functions will be done through a state of the art computer based control center at Ludhiana .
Benefits to be milked from this project include:
- Saving in lieu of reduction of man-power
- Real time monitoring & control of field equipments
- Efficient grid management
- Reduction in power supply breakdown time
- Better quality supply to the consumer by way of improved voltage regulation
- Reduction of line losses
- Automated energy accounting etc. etc.
Intra-state ABT compliant Boundary Metering Scheme
- There is proposal to implement intra-state / ABT boundary metering for post unbundling structure of PSEB amongst STU, Generating Cos. and Discoms as per requirement of state grid code.
- The scheme comprises of ABT compliant Special Energy Meters (SEMs) to be installed at delivery points of each entity and on inter-utility/cross-over lines and setting up of a Base Computer station for preparation of energy/UI bills.
- Open access customer requirements shall also be covered under the above metering scheme.
Achievements of SLDC Directorate
- State Load Despatch Center using state of the art technology (i.e. computers, modern communication media etc.) has been established in SLDC building at 220 KV grid subsation, Ablowal, Patiala for collection of online data from Punjab’s generating stations, 220 KV and critical 132 KV substations. SCADA scheme had been implemented in PSEB in two phases namely Interim SCADA Scheme and Unified SCADA scheme.
- SCADA scheme for first time in PSEB was introduced as Interim SCADA scheme in year 1999 covering most important generating stations and 220KV and critical 132KV sub stations. The scheme was integrated with unified SCADA scheme in the year 2002.
- Unified SCADA/EMS Scheme under unified load dispatch and communication project had been commissioned in the year 2002 through Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd. (PGCIL) for all the Northern region constituents viz HVPNL, DTL, PSEB, HPSEB, RRVPNL, UPPCL, J&K(PDD) including BBMB.
- Total 49 No. important sub stations (220KV and 132KV only) including all generating stations have been covered under unified SCADA/EMS scheme.
- There is a proposal to add another 25 No. RTUs to cover the remaining 220KV substations to integrate with the existing SCADA/EMS system
Director/Communication Design :
Design Directorate Communication is responsible for Design/Procurement of the following Communication equipment required for new communication links and for replacement of existing defective/out lived equipment and the same is made available to the SE/Communication ?Op’ Circle, PSEB Jallandhar for Installation/Commissioning at various sub station of PSEB:-
Power Line Carrier Communication: Single/Twin Channel
- Terminal for speech protection and Data transmission.
- Wave Traps : 1 mH, 1250A, 220 KV
- 0.5 mH, 800A, 66 KV & 132 KV
- Coupling Capacitors : 8800 pf, 66 KV/132 KV/220 KV
- Telephone Cable : Single pair/Multipair (Armoured/Un-armoured)
- H F Cable : 150 ohm balanced (Armoured)
- Coupling Devices : 100W,200W & 650 W Phase to Ground, Phase to Phase
- 48V DC Battery chargers : 20A,40A,60A, & 80A rated
- 48V DC Batteries : 2V, 24 Nos. Tubular/VRLA-MF Cells
- (60AH, 100AH, 200AH, 300AH & 400AH Capacity)
- Telephone Sets : Basics and 1 + 1 Plan sets (extension sets)
- Telephones Exchanges : (PLCC/Non PLCC Version)
- Data Modems
Besides above, Communication options like Optical Fiber System. Lease Line and low cost Microwave system are also explored for speech/data transmission among the various sub stations of PSEB.
Job of signing Long Term Power Purchase Agreements/Power Sale Agreements /MoUs and execution thereof is also entrusted to this Directorate.
Inter State Billing Directorate is entrusted with the work of purchase/sale of electrical energy from various Central Sector Generating station i.e. NTPC, NHPC, NPCIL etc. short term purchase through traders, Co-gen. projects, IPP Projects and other Electricity Boards as well. For the purchase of energy from Co generators, job of signing of PPAs/MoUs and execution thereof is entrusted to this Directorate. This office is making payments against energy bills to the tune of Rs 5500-6000 crore per annum. Petitions in CERC, Appellate Tribunal relating to central sector tariff are also being dealt within this Directorate. Amount of Power Purchase during last 5 years from various sources is as under:
(Rs in Cr)
(Rs in Cr)
(Rs in Cr)
(Rs in Cr)
(Rs in Cr)
SE/Communication Operation Circle, Jalandhar:
Communication (Operation) Circle, Jalandhar takes care of the speech/data through wireless, microwave and Power Line Carrier Communication system in whole of the Punjab and some parts of H.P.
- Number of PLCC terminals – 1178
- Number of telephone exchanges – 103
- Number of MW connected speech stations – 54
- Number of Data stations – 49
- Communication Circle plays an important role in the Power Management by keeping communication links for SCADA system functional.
- Construction as well as operation of PLCC links for the purpose of speech as well as data transfer.
- Installation, testing, commissioning and upkeep of protection couplers for carrier inter-tripping on various important link stations.
- Testing and commissioning of PLCC equipments.
- Operation and maintenance of inter communication in head office, Shakti Vihar, Shakti Sadan, Power Colony-I at Patiala and other mini secretariats of PSEB.
- Repairing of the faulty modules in the Module Repairing Labs at Jalandhar and Ludhiana .
- Imparting training to the staff of the Communication organization.
- Providing technical support to the Communication Design Directorate, SLDC Directorate, SLDC Directorate.
- Providing support to Director/IT for the implementation of IT projects such as AMR & VPN.
PSEB is the only constituent of ULDC scheme SC&NR Project, which has planned, installed, tested and commissioned the PLCC equipments of its own whereas other constituents have executed the same through firms. PSEB was especially requested by the other constituents to impart training on PLCC data communication to their engineers. As such PSEB has imparted training to 24 No. participants of various other constituents of ULDC scheme, namely Nuclear Power Corporation of India , UPPCL, HVPNL, HPSEB, DTL, BBMB & PGCIL.
An air conditioned training cabin was set up in T&C hall, Jalandhar, funds for which were arranged from the training fee received from the participants.
The office of Director/Open Access is operating under control of Chief Engineer/SO&C. This office is responsible for granting the open access to the customers with in the state of Punjab for the sale/purchase of power. The open access is being granted as per the Open Access regulations issued by Punjab State Electricity Regulatory Commission and Central Electricity Regulatory Commission. Apart from the above , this Dte. has also prepared and forwarded long term and short term open access procedures for open access customers duly approved by PSEB to Punjab State electricity Regulatory Commision for acceptanace. Till date, the following customers have been garated open access by PSEB for slae of power.
- M/s Rana Sugar Ltd, Amritsar.
- M/s Lakshami Energy & Foods Ltd. Khamanon.
- M/s Gujrat Ambuja Cement Ltd. Ropar.
- M/s Wahid Sandhar Sugars Ltd. Phagwara.
The open access Dte. prepares UI based energy bills and Reactive energy bills for open access customers. the account for assessment and realization of UI, reactive energy and open access charges from the open access customers is also maintained.