Shahpurkandi Dam Project comprising of 55.5 high concrete Dam, 7.70 Km long Hydel Channel, 2 nos. Head Regulators 2 no. Power Houses of total 206 MW capacity are being constructed on River Ravi to provide a balancing reservoir to have uniform water releases for Upper Bari Doab Canal, Kashmir canal off taking from Madhopur Head Works and high level Ravi Canal (J&K) which will off take from right side of Shahpurkandi Dam Project and to ensure optimum power generation during peaking hours from Ranjit Sagar Dam Project. J&K will get 20% of power generated from this project at bus bar rates.
Shahpurkandi Dam Project has been declared as ‘National Project’ by Ministry of Water Resources, Govt. of India during February 2008. Planning Commission Government of India has accorded investment clearance for Rs. 2285.81 Cr at April 2008 price level during February, 2010 and the cost apportionment between Irrigation and Power component is 28.61% and 71.39% respectively. As per the guidelines of the National Project, Govt. of India shall provide 90% of the cost of Irrigation component as Central Assistance and 10% shall be provided by Punjab Govt. Funds for power component shall be provided by Punjab State Power Corporation Ltd for which REC has sanctioned the loan amounting to Rs. 1468 Crore.
|Village||Shahpurkandi (11 Km D/S of Ranjit Sagar Dam Project) and 8 Km U/S of Madhopur Head works|
|Nearest Railway Stations||Madhopur /Pathankot/ Chakki Bank|
|Nearest Airport||Pathankot (16 Km from Shahpurkandi T/Ship)|
SALIENT FEATURES OF SHAHPURKANDI DAM PROJECT
- Design flood Discharge : 21500 cumec (7,50,400 cusec)
- Live Storage Capacity : 9.74 million Cum
- Maximum Height of Dam : 55.50 m
- Top Level of the Dam /Crest Level : EL 407.50m / EL 380.00m
- Pond Level Maximum / Minimum : 404.50 m / 402.50m
- Length of Overflow Section : 415.00 m
- No. of bays/ Size of Spillways Gates : 22 bays of 12m x 7m size
SALIENT FEATURES OF POWER HOUSES
- No. of Units : 7 Nos.
- Power House-I : 3 Units of 33 MW each
- Power House-II : 3 Units of 33 MW each & one no. 8 MW unit
- Total generating capacity : 206 MW
- Designed head : 28.15 m for 33 MW Units & 23.25 m for 8 MW unit
- Type of turbine : Vertical Kaplan
- Power generation per year : 1042.92 MU
Execution of Electro-Mechanical Works
As per decision of Govt. of Punjab, civil works of this project are to be executed by the Irrigation Deptt. Govt. of Punjab and Electro & Mechanical (E&M) works of the project are to be carried out by the PSPCL. Notification of Award for Electro-Mechanical (E & M) works of 206 MW Shahpurkandi Hydro Electric Project (HEP) on EPC mode basis to M/S BHEL, New Delhi has been issued on 29.01.2014. The Contract agreement was signed on 28.02.2014. Turbine Model Test witness test has been carried out w.e.f. 18.09.2014 to 27.09.2014 at Hydro Lab, BHEL, Bhopal.
BENEFITS OF SHAHPURKANDI DAM PROJECT
- To act as balancing reservoir for optimum utilization of releases from Ranjit Sagar Dam Project.
- Shall regulate and ensure uniform supplies to downstream Canal System.
- Increased and intensive irrigation benefits for 3.48 lac hectares in Punjab.
- Shall provide Irrigation facility to 5000 hectares in Punjab & 32173 hectares in J&K.
- Shall produce 1042 MU of electricity annually.
- Complete water of River Ravi will be utilized for irrigation as well as for power generation on downstream Hydel Projects.
- Shall provide silt free water to existing and proposed Power Houses.
- Development of tourism, recreational facilities and fisheries.
- Overall socio economic development of area.